Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Alternative Relationships

One of the themes of Addition is alternative relationships. Back when I was writing the first draft I had a few friends who were asking about current projects. When I spoke about Addition, I was surprised to learn that a few of my friends I've known for years have been involved in alternative relationships and I never even knew.

What I found most interesting about this was not that my friends had been in such relationships, but that it wasn't something they really discussed until someone else brought the topic up. We certainly live in a world focused on couples, so I can understand their reluctance. I'm curious how many people have experienced this, or, if you haven't, do you think you'd be open to it, should the situation arise?

Personally, I haven't experienced an alternative relationship. As to the question of if I would be involved in one, I'm not sure. I'm not the type of person to say 'never,' but I think there would have to be a very specific set of circumstances for that to work with me. Given my personal history, I get self-conscious enough in a standard relationship and I don't know I could handle the worrying and questioning I'd go through in a polyamourous situation. It's certainly an area of human interaction that interests me, though.

So, how about it? What do you all say? If you've been involved in an alternative relationship, what's been your experience? If you haven't, do you think you would?

Justen Bennett
Director/Playwright

No comments:

Post a Comment