Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cuts

Today was an interesting day. The show has been running over time for a while. Just today we've been able to bring it back to just barely within the 65-minute slot we have at the Fringe. Rehearsal today was really tight and I don't know how much more time we can cut off the play, taking into account we need some buffer room to account for laughter and potential mishaps.

In light of the tight run-time, I made the decision to cut some small sections at the beginning. This was especially hard because I know that in the next version, the piece itself should actually be longer (potentially two acts). The sections I'm snipping will be put back in the script after our run, but given the Fringe's very strict guidelines on adhering to one's run-time, it had to be done. I even have another small section in the back of my mind in case further cuts are required.

These have been the most difficult cuts to make because I've already spent time with edits and, while they aren't essential to the plot, they're nice character sections that help give the audience a stronger sense of Ben and Logan's relationship.

In other news, details on the fundraiser next weekend are almost fully confirmed. I just need to hear back on specific times so I can begin promoting it. Also, a quick shout-out to The Travelling Tickle Trunk, a fantastic company that has contributed to making the upcoming fundraiser just a little bit more fun. Tonight, I'm hoping to work on the sound design I've delayed too often for my liking and tomorrow I plan to post the fourth of the five cast/crew interviews.

Justen Bennett
Director/Playwright

No comments:

Post a Comment